Friday, May 27, 2016

Fibre Friday

Each week, we all work on various fibre-related things that we are excited to share with one another. Some share on  Instagram (use #fiberfriday) but some of us still blog about our fibre-y pursuits. If you'd like to join in, link up and share with the rest of the community what fibre-related projects you've been working on! It's a great way to stay motivated, inspired and surrounded by a community of fellow handspinners! 

Remember, you can participate at any time throughout the weekend and week - I just happen to post on Fridays.

As per usual, this week has passed in a blur. Where is this Spring going? Pretty soon I'm going to be lamenting that Spring is over and Summer has come! I feel pretty lucky that we are having such great days and weeks because for a while there, it was pretty dark. The kids were incredibly demanding, I was chronically sleep deprived and the days were long. It was a slog. I found my creating to be a place of escape but now it is a place of renewal and energy. Looking forward to a few rows over my coffee in the morning is life-giving. 

This week, I have been working on two 'new' spindling projects and prepping for a new big spin, which you'll be able to read about more over on my home blog here. I also have a project on my Lendrum for the first time since teaching in February and March but it is a wee bit secret, so I won't share that with you quite yet. That is actually my priority this weekend!

The two spindling projects are working up on a truly lovely way. I called them 'new' because one is actually an old project with renewed energy behind it. I'd like to get it out of my WIPs section of my Handspun page on Ravelry and I thought maybe spinning on my TurtleMade would renew my interest and VOILA! it worked. 



This is some hand-pulled roving I made on my drumcarder about a year ago and I spun a little sample skein. It was really fun and I thought I would finish the rest immediately but it just kept being pushed to the back of my spinning WIPs basket. This will be plied from a centre-pull ball, probably on one of my wheels. 



Next, if you follow me on Instagram or this week's blog post, you will have seen my most recent project is some pencil roving from Smith & Ewe. I'm really loving this spin. If I am able to finish this 50 grams today, I can ply it tomorrow and see the first of 2 skeins (total 200 grams of fibre). Sooo excited! I'm spinning this on my large Natural Knot Wood Designs Capar spindle. Oooh how I love this spindle.



Lastly, I'm almost finish the second fingerless mitt (to make a pair, haha) from my handspun Icelandic that I finished last weekend. These are not soft. They are going to be warm, hardy and durable. But not soft. Oooh no, not soft. 

Your turn! What are you working on? 

No comments:

Post a Comment